• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

Hawker Sea Hawk P3D FSX 10_16

Royal Canadian Navy Sea Hawk

Just uploaded to here, a fictional repaint for the Royal Canadian Navy. The Canadians and Australians both evaluated the Sea Hawk for use. This is a what if texture if the RCN went with this instead of used ex USN Banshees. This represents a Sea Hawk assigned to VF 870 HMCS Shearwater.

Attachments

• TV1-155.jpg
    TV1-155.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 2
  • TV1-152.jpg
    TV1-152.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 3
  • TV1-146.jpg
    TV1-146.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 3
  • TV1-94.jpg
    TV1-94.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 2
Been Doing some digging trying to find out anything I can about these Sea Hawks that were evaluated by the RCN and RAN. The only photo evidence I could Find was this B/W photo of one aboard Melbourne on the Australian War Memorial website, circa 1956. I've marked out the aircraft in the image. It was taken during sea trials which I suppose were undertaken whilst still in UK waters. This would probably be the same case for the RCN during Bonnie's trials I'd imagine.

So I guess they used Royal Navy A/C whilst getting their respective carriers fitted out to save them buying examples to ship home only to decide they didn't want them. It also mentions it as a Sea Hawk in the description. https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/301012/

attachment.php

hope that clears that mystery up. I know someone was wondering earlier.

Kindest Regards

Hooky

Attachments

• Hawker Seahawk Melbourne.jpg
    Hawker Seahawk Melbourne.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 40
That's not a bad idea:encouragement:

Oh.. Hermes deck was 6.5deg according to Janes Fighting Ships '73/'74. Ark had a whopping 8.5deg angle!!

I had a go (another go) at painting up a re-engineered Hermes this afternoon and the results were less than satisfactory. The deck map is wild as well as off-centre!!:dizzy:

EDIT: Thinking about it, the deck park models would need to be repainted too so a Vic repaint would be rather more of a challenge. Easier (I think) to make the Majestic's look like Centaur's by painting the angle on the deck.
ATB
DaveB;)

Yeah, I guess there is no clean deck park model of the Victorious.

The 8.5 degree deck for the ark must have been in the Phantom years? I think it was 5.5 up to the last major rebuild to handle the Phantom.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e4/HMS_Ark_Royal_(R09)_MOD_45140150.jpg

https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6124/5923106903_9ac3574aee.jpg

You can see the white danger line outside of the landing field run all the way up to the front bow.. Probably only the right cat which could theoretically be used together with landing aircraft. Must have made parking landed aircraft a real problem as well.

Another interesting link if you have not seen it:
http://www.armouredcarriers.com/audacious-class-armoured-flight-deck/

Michael Davis (I think?) had a HMS Eagle model more or less finished for many years ago, but he never finished it

Michael Davis (I think?) had a HMS Eagle model more or less finished for many years ago, but he never finished it

That would be Mark Harper and the deck was/is axial on his version if I remember right. Would be nice to have it however it arrives:encouragement:

Great links there JO. It's the first time I've noticed the launch tied against the stern below the flight deck!!

Re the deck angle.. Eagle had the same during her Scimitar/Sea Vixen/Buccaneer days. Whether done specifically for (in anticipation of) the Phantoms I'm not sure. Eagle was supposed to have them before the money ran out and the decision was taken to decommission her and keep Ark IV going. Not so good for the navy but a bonus for the RAF (the navy no longer needed what had been ordered so the aircraft were diverted to the RAF).

ATB
DaveB:)

I can give it a try at painting up the Majestic as a Centaur class, I can paint on both cats, but of course only the left which works, the deck dimensions will be to small, but I think it can work as a stand in for the Centaurs. I believe Hermes had a more modern deck layout, which one will fits the majority of the current paints? Centaur, Bulwark or Albion? (really only for getting the deck code letter)

I can give it a try at painting up the Majestic as a Centaur class, I can paint on both cats, but of course only the left which works, the deck dimensions will be to small, but I think it can work as a stand in for the Centaurs. I believe Hermes had a more modern deck layout, which one will fits the majority of the current paints? Centaur, Bulwark or Albion? (really only for getting the deck code letter)

Deary do.. there are a lot of differences in reality. All of the Centaur class (and Hermes) had a defined square/slab ended stern like the Audacious carriers but in their 50's guise.. I think they looked similar (overall) to the Majestic's. Hermes has always looked a little different but Centaur, Bulwark and Albion were pretty much peas in a pod. I think it would be easier to 'pass off' these three than include Hermes.

There are some nice, big shots of all three in this link.. http://www.seaforces.org/marint/Royal-Navy/Aircraft-Carriers.htm

ATB

Ah.. that one. I'm not 100% sure on the accuracy although it's a nice looking paint. It was a mix of B&W phot and period guesswork but I'll dig around and see if it can't be nailed.

Has anyone thought of doing WV908, being the only flying example in the world.

Well.. I've just had a quick go. These shots are WIP. Lot's more work needed to get it bang on..
wv908wip.jpg

wv908wip2.jpg

I'll let it go if and when when I'm happy.
ATB

The Centaur!

Thought you'd like to know: I made a 'carrier' with a working arrestor cable and a catapult! attachpt_Catapult_start_1 and attachpt_Catapult_end_1 were the names I found. Now when will that book about the Hr. Ms. Karel Doorman arrive?

:wavey:

Cees

The Centaur!

Thought you'd like to know: I made a 'carrier' with a working arrestor cable and a catapult! attachpt_Catapult_start_1 and attachpt_Catapult_end_1 were the names I found. Now when will that book about the Hr. Ms. Karel Doorman arrive?

:wavey:

Cees

Well done Cees:wiggle:

ATB

Sadly it is not possible to remove the guns with my paintbrush..hehe

Do you know if the number was painted on the island early on for Centaur? I tend to believe it was not. Any more info about deck colour is also welcome, did all the british carriers of the time had grey/blueish landing deck and the rest of the deck green/grey? I have found some colour pics of C with dark grey main deck (not green)?

I've got a centaur class languishing on my hard drive. Unfinished and untextured. Still wrestling with other models trying to learn animations in blender (and so far failing miserably).

I'll maybe get round to finishing it one day but I'm hoping someone beats me to it!

Ah.. that one. I'm not 100% sure on the accuracy although it's a nice looking paint. It was a mix of B&W phot and period guesswork but I'll dig around and see if it can't be nailed.

Well.. I've just had a quick go. These shots are WIP. Lot's more work needed to get it bang on..
wv908wip.jpg

wv908wip2.jpg

I'll let it go if and when when I'm happy.
ATB

Hi Dave,
vvery nice repaint as usual!!! :ernaehrung004:
Cheers,

Stéph.

Thanks Steph:encouragement:

I've spent some time getting it closer but exactly how close it can be, I'm not sure. Some areas of the model/PK are hit and miss making even simple adjustments a chore. Some can't be changed as that's how they're mapped. I'll get it as close as I can before I lose the will to live and let it loose;)
ATB

Thanks Steph:encouragement:

I've spent some time getting it closer but exactly how close it can be, I'm not sure. Some areas of the model/PK are hit and miss making even simple adjustments a chore. Some can't be changed as that's how they're mapped. I'll get it as close as I can before I lose the will to live and let it loose;)
ATB

Looks good to me Dave. The only obvious change is the wingtips. The current WV908 has erroneously got the wingtip underside white instead of the Extra Dark Sea Grey 6 inch underside edge paint. Other than that looks great!

:ernaehrung004: Peter

Back