• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

JP (and co)'s Alphasim/Virtavia F-4 Revival for FSX/P3D

Thanks Steve re RF-4 B and C - interesting.

Showing off the PBR shine (at least that's what I think I see . .)

Where is everybody getting these sweet repaints? I am having trouble finding B/C/D model repaints that are high quality and work with the PBR models.

Eric

Where is everybody getting these sweet repaints? I am having trouble finding B/C/D model repaints that are high quality and work with the PBR models.

Hey there Eric. This is a rather ancient paint by Russ Smith and was on the redone Alphasim (non PBR) model. My screenshot is in P3D v4.5 with sliders medium to high settings.

Cheers!

expat

Category: Flight Simulator 2004 - Aircraft Repaints, Textures and Modifications
F-4J, VMFA-334, Falcons, Da Nang, 1968
File Description:
This is a repaint of Alphasim's excellent F-4J. These textures represent a F-4J that was part of VMFA-334, Falcons, as it appeared in On November, 24, 1968 while based at Da Nang. For the mission on that day the call sign for the aircaft was "Lovebug 6". You need the ALPHASIM "F-4 Phantom Pack 1" payware package.

Filename:vmfa334.zip
License:Freeware, limited distribution
Added:17th February 2005, 13:53:12
Downloads:561
Author:Russel R. Smith, Alphasim
Size:954kb

Hi Eric
Pesonally I think Gus Robatto did some of the best Phantom repaints, freely available on Avsim or just google his name.

Regards Paul Day.

Hi Eric
Pesonally I think Gus Robatto did some of the best Phantom repaints, freely available on Avsim or just google his name.

Regards Paul Day.

Me too. They dont seem to work on the PBR model though? The ones I tried are too dark.

Me too. They dont seem to work on the PBR model though? The ones I tried are too dark.

Just a hunch, the texture.cfg for those repaints you have may not be structured such as this:

[fltsim]

fallback.1=..\texture.VC
fallback.2=..\texture.metallic

Save you texture.cfg for each repaint you ADDED and use one of the basic texture.cfg that was included in this update.
I think that metallic call may add better luster/shine to the exterior.

These are a couple of Gus Robatto's where I changed the texture.cfg to include the metallic texture.

Capture.jpg

Capture1.jpg

Capture2.jpg

Wax job

I did an experiment with the metallic_shiny texture.cfg and this bird looks like it got a wax job...(this was vx4 texture.cfg copied over to the VF-96 texture)

I'll bet the plane captain was the squadron's "man of the month" for this polish job :biggrin-new:
Capture.jpg

Capture.jpg

Burner issues

I'm taxing at approx 14 knots and both burners are emitting what looks like a 1st stage glow...I would of thought going at a faster taxi speed to see the glow such as this.

Naturally at faster takeoff speed then the AB flames effect kicks in. You can see in my upper left speed is at 13KAS and both engines are glowing. In RL, I don't remember seeing a F-4

taxi and see the glow such as in my screenshot. On my JoyStick, I'm in the lower quarter of my throttle when this shot was taken. If I close the throttle an just coast along then

the engines are dark. I'm using P3D V4.5 - Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity so that taxing will not bring up the glow till say a rollout for take off, where as you gain speed, at ~45 Knots

the light effect gradually builds to a mil take off with max flame? If at a dead stop and just want to resume a taxi, I get effect as seen in my screen shot.

Capture.jpg

Last edited:
Iif I recall, the exhaust "turkey feather" variable nozzles would be necked down considerably from what I see in the picture. They open and close in relation to thrust output. In full burner, they are wide open. Do they modulate with throttle in your model? In other words, you are able to see too far up the tail pipes at low power, if I am correct.

Hi Postbaer,

Your PBR package is great, but i have only one problem, the New Panel Background lightning, glows always, Day and Night. On the non PBR pack its only glows on the night.

Thx

attachment.php

Attachments

• Unbenannt.jpg
    Unbenannt.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 158
Do they modulate with throttle in your model? In other words, you are able to see too far up the tail pipes at low power, if I am correct.

Perhaps so, as that is the "flame holder" section of the engine. The AB section would be the "flame thrower".

I've seen on other F-4 sims made by other dev's where the burning of the fuel was not producing that glow as shown in my pic until a substantial increase of thrust was

produced which would be greater then a slow taxi speed. Which brings me back to asking if it normal to see the flames as shown in my pic when just at a slow taxi?

I'm taxing at approx 14 knots and both burners are emitting what looks like a 1st stage glow...I would of thought going at a faster taxi speed to see the glow such as this.

Naturally at faster takeoff speed then the AB flames effect kicks in. You can see in my upper left speed is at 13KAS and both engines are glowing. In RL, I don't remember seeing a F-4

taxi and see the glow such as in my screenshot. On my JoyStick, I'm in the lower quarter of my throttle when this shot was taken. If I close the throttle an just coast along then

the engines are dark. I'm using P3D V4.5 - Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity so that taxing will not bring up the glow till say a rollout for take off, where as you gain speed, at ~45 Knots

the light effect gradually builds to a mil take off with max flame? If at a dead stop and just want to resume a taxi, I get effect as seen in my screen shot.

I can not confirm your Burner issues, Butch.
I have just check this. My burner startet at nearly 80% thrust, and thats with my saitek throttle at almost three quarter.
Did you have made a complet installation of the PBR Version, or did you have installed only in parts?
It's important, to install all new models and panels and gauges and effects to get all new features, otherwise it can cause dissbehaviors.

I can not confirm your Burner issues, Butch.
I have just check this. My burner startet at nearly 80% thrust, and thats with my saitek throttle at almost three quarter.
Did you have made a complet installation of the PBR Version, or did you have installed only in parts?
It's important, to install all new models and panels and gauges and effects to get all new features, otherwise it can cause dissbehaviors.

I've done a complete install. I've observed from rear of the F-4, as each engine starts up they both will produce a wisp of smoke (that's okay) and then briefly a yellow glow
will illuminate from each engine then extinguish, looking up two black stovepipes, yet the engines are running (at idle). It's like looking through the turbine blades to the combustion
chamber while at idle or in a slow taxi, just my observation .

From my research:

• nozzles are open at rest, with the aircraft standing still at the parking slot
  • when the aircraft is on the ground taxiing under idle thrust, the diameter section is decreased (the nozzles close)
  • when afterburner is selected, the nozzles open
  • when in flight, the nozzle position remains to minimum diameter until afterburner is selected

I know this has come a long way from those two bic lighter like AB effects to what it is now and that is very much appreciated.

The other issue is the gyro effect burner flames look like they are still there. This mostly happens in turns/banks.

Overall, I really enjoy this "overhaul" project and appreciated the improvement that went into it and I again thank all that made it happen. :encouragement:

Capture.jpg

Last edited:
I fly in P3D 4.5 and after i erase the old Afterburner effects from Alphasim/virtavia i, have no probs withe the Burner and no gyro effect burners.

In a brief moment, you can see no flames/glowing effect from inside those engines as it taxis out and align on the runway for takeoff.

This is the way I remember watching the F-4's taxi by me on the flight line, when I was as then NAS Miramar long ago, just two dark engine chambers

then upon take off, the flames and smoke would pour out of those engines.

Wish I could figure out how to reach taxi speed without the glowing engine effect until it was time to takeoff.

I fly in P3D 4.5 and after i erase the old Afterburner effects from Alphasim/virtavia i, have no probs withe the Burner and no gyro effect burners.

Interesting.....Which effect(s) would that be?

I tried to // out the lights section = no change.

Hi guys.
I can not reproduce the problems, because I have extensively tested all models,
with the attached effect files and they worked without any problems with in P3Dv4.5 for me.
Since i had edited the AB effects, they doesn't show any gyro effects for me.
JP haved attached some more new effects for the new four stage burners and create a new gauge for its function.
The AB effects are attached to the models and cannot can be changed afterwards.
Can other users report similar problems ?

Interesting.....Which effect(s) would that be?

I tried to // out the lights section = no change.

I noticed, i have forgotten to delete the Ab effects entries from the aircraft.cfg in Pack32.
Can you please deactivate them and Report back if the issues has gone.

[smokesystem]
//smoke.2 = -9.19, -2.30, -1.15, fx_reheat_AlphaPhantom_fire_FSX
//smoke.3 = -9.19, 2.30, -1.15, fx_reheat_AlphaPhantom_fire_FSX
//smoke.4 = -9.19, -2.30, -1.15, fx_reheat_AlphaPhantom_short_FSX
//smoke.5 = -9.19, 2.30, -1.15, fx_reheat_AlphaPhantom_short_FSX
//smoke.6 = -9.19, -2.30, -1.15, fx_reheat_AlphaPhantom_long_FSX
//smoke.7 = -9.19, 2.30, -1.15, fx_reheat_AlphaPhantom_long_FSX

Back