• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

RFN F-8 Crusader is Out!!

Nosewheel steering problem

Hi all

I didn´t find any help for this in the manual. After taxiing without problem, takeoff and landing, the front wheel is blocked and I can´t steer anymore. The rudder pedals still move, also the rudder. If I reload the plane, everything is fine again. Is there a nosewheel block for takeoff and landing?

Regards

Dan

P.S. Great aircraft, thanks

Using P3D4.5 HF2

Hi Dan
There is not a nosewheel block. So can you do this little test:
Make a take off with 3000 pounds fuel, maintain gear down and wing up, go downwind leg and land.
Stop the aircraft on the runway.
Then begin taxiing. Have you the issue?

If you have the issue, change with an another aircraft (Dino's T45, F14, ...) and do the same flight.

Regards
Michel

Hi Dan
There is not a nosewheel block. So can you do this little test:
Make a take off with 3000 pounds fuel, maintain gear down and wing up, go downwind leg and land.
Stop the aircraft on the runway.
Then begin taxiing. Have you the issue?

If you have the issue, change with an another aircraft (Dino's T45, F14, ...) and do the same flight.

Regards
Michel

Hi Michel

Thanks for your quick response. I don´t have the issue, when leaving the gear down. I did another run with the gear up and had no steering after landing. Tried the same with DCD F-18E with no problems. I will test tomorrow after a new simulator start (takes long with all my addons). Maybe the issue is because I had some other planes loaded before. I have to test starting the default flight and see if it is still there. I had this before I think some time ago. But the planes I loaded where not PMDG like, only the Carenado Phenom 300.

Regards

Dan

Work in progress

A work in progress.
Special thanks to Mister JanKees Bloom for his precious help concerning the "Spec" textures.
A F8J from VF24 on board the USS Hancock in early January 1972 during the Vietnam War.
Still a few touch-ups to have a repaint similar to the original.
Richard
000.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

006.jpg

Very nice repaint of the VF-24 bird! I was aboard Hancock 1971 Westpac cruise with VAQ-129 Det 19. Unfortunately, one F-8 from either VF-211 or VF-24 smacked the round-down while doing a night landing and wiped out the landing system lights. We had to park at Pearl for week for repairs then push on to Nam!

Very nice repaint of the VF-24 bird! I was aboard Hancock 1971 Westpac cruise with VAQ-129 Det 19. Unfortunately, one F-8 from either VF-211 or VF-24 smacked the round-down while doing a night landing and wiped out the landing system lights. We had to park at Pearl for week for repairs then push on to Nam!

Ouch, this is a serious incident.
Thank you MrZippy, I'm happy that you like it.
Richard

Ouch, this is a serious incident.
Thank you MrZippy, I'm happy that you like it.
Richard

Just happened to find the one snapshot of the damage to Hancock's landing system.

An F-8J Crusader from VF-24 struck the flight deck ramp of USS Hancock (CVA-19) and exploded during night carrier qualifications, killing LT. Darrell N. Eggert. 1 September 1970.

Scan.jpg

Last edited:
If somebody tells me what the helmets looked like I could give it a try..

and delta-lima, what do you mean with a plain line version?

like this?

Hi Jankees,

My apologies - I remembered your question, but I think I answered the question in the FSX sister RFN F-8 thread, instead of here. I'm sorry if it seemed I didn't respond - so sorry.

The plain line versions are the non-CO, non-CAG "regular" paints. VMF-232 is delightful - just what I was hoping for.

Many thanks again.

dl

That looks to be VF-24 in the F-8J aircraft and markings of the early 70's - minus the red hockey stick that was painted on the tail when I was with them.
When they flew F-8C's, the modex was in the 400 range. Will your VF-24 repaint work in P3D V3?

Nice paint job :encouragement:
Capture.jpg

Thank you for your testimony GE.
I found many different markings for VF24 during its cruises include the one you're talking about.
I didn't test my texture in P3D V3. But as there is only one paint kit for both versions P3D V4 and P3D V3, I suppose it should work with the latter.
Richard

A red nose for VF-211.

032.jpg

My intention was to upload both textures (VF24 and VF211) at the same time. But due to the limitations of the paint kit, the VF211 version is on standby.
The end of the infrared sensor should be white, not red. But the paint kit doesn't allow this. The paint kit applies the same color to the tip of the infrared sensor as to the nose of the aircraft.
Contact made with RFN designers, a solution may be available soon.

So, I will upload only VF24 texture in the next days.
Richard

My intention was to upload both textures (VF24 and VF211) at the same time. But due to the limitations of the paint kit, the VF211 version is on standby.
The end of the infrared sensor should be white, not red. But the paint kit doesn't allow this. The paint kit applies the same color to the tip of the infrared sensor as to the nose of the aircraft.
Contact made with RFN designers, a solution may be available soon.

So, I will upload only VF24 texture in the next days.
Richard

Thanks Richard for this one. :encouragement:

I had left VF-24 before they went to F8-J's in early '70's It works well in P3D V3.

Capture.jpg

Thanks Richard for this one. :encouragement:

I had left VF-24 before they went to F8-J's in early '70's It works well in P3D V3.

Capture.jpg

Nice repaint.

GE, is that the original included AB effect? It looks a bit different than mine. Looks really good, in fact.

dl

Thanks. Yes, it is the original effect.

You should have both afterburner and smoke effects. Look at your installation folders, there is an effect folder in, you just have to copy-paste its content into your flight sim Effects folder.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/118804-RFN-F-8-Crusader-is-out!!

Oh I have them working fine - it's just the flame looks a bit more subdued in the first shot I quoted than mine. Again, different systems, and settings etc. probably account for slight variations. Your second shot looks more like mine normally does. I just wondered if you had changed your effect.

Yeah - the smoke effect is something I really appreciated.

dl

RFN F-8 Autopilot

Anyone else except me still having issues activating the AP?

I only very infrequently get the AP to engage (the yellow light comes on) after pressing alternatively "Z" and "." keys - AP and brakes, and also the button on my X52 for brakes many dozens of times, but most flights I cannot get it to activate at all. I have tweaked my control settings but no luck. AP works fine on other a/c.

Back