• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

Douglas C-47 v3 Livery Thread

Admiral Arriving

This is a V2 convert to V3 (yes, it has the V3 VVC) :encouragement: Tail wheel tire low on air.

Spotted at NAS Alameda.

Alameda.jpg

Alameda1.jpg

Maybe it should be removed from the paintkit(?)

Ok! Didn't know it comes with the paintkit.. ( as much as i've always loved repainting, IMHO one of the most entertaining and rewarding FS jobs, i simply can't find the time anymore so i have actually never seen the paintkit for Manfred's Dakota ). I guess i'll have to sit round the table with my friend Gordon then... :)

Thanks for the tip!

Cheers,
Jan

Ok! Didn't know it comes with the paintkit.. ( as much as i've always loved repainting, IMHO one of the most entertaining and rewarding FS jobs, i simply can't find the time anymore so i have actually never seen the paintkit for Manfred's Dakota ). I guess i'll have to sit round the table with my friend Gordon then... :)

Thanks for the tip!

Cheers,
Jan

EZ Peazy Jan...the cowl bluing is a layer in the PK. It can be turned off for a much more subtle discoloration. I'll make a clean gray base layer with no baked in wear and post it up as an update.

I usually stay clear of discussions regarding correct colors, and weathering because they can be so subjective and can get out of hand very quickly. So, at the risk of stirring the pot, and with all due respect and admiration for one of our hobby's most prolific developers, I will comment on this particular subject.

First off, I agree with Jan re the current C-47/DC-3 fliers. For the most part they are kept in pristine condition, including the engine cowls and nacelles. However there are many examples of operational military C-47s, and even a few civilian airliners with varying degrees of oil and soot on the nacelles behind the cowl flaps, a few of which are posted below.

So, from this repainter's point of view, I respectfully disagree with Jan's statement in his first paragraph. While I also agree with Jan re that degree of such "weathering" may come into question. But, that is usually determined by many factors such as personal taste, skill level and experience with repainting. As for myself, I repaint subjects for me. Most times I try to make them as accurate as possible. However, there are times when I take artistic license with such things, and because it's for me, it's OK if others don't care for them.

Finally, this is not a debate or argument. It is my humble opinion only, and I will not engage in any back and forth because I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. Just sharing an opinion.

Steve

Hi Steve,

It's just something i've seen on quite a few repaints for Manfred's C-47 v2 model as well. At average that much oil/soot behind the cowlflaps just doesn't belong there. As i hoped to show with the photos i provided in my post about it...

Anyway, no big deal, just doesn't look right in my ol' Dakota aficionado eyes, that's all.

Cheers,
Jan

I hope this one will make Jan Visser happy :biggrin-new:.

Afraid not, Huub... :playful:

I deffinately agree with you that this is the least attractive DC-3 KLM livery. But thanks for doing it anyway! :encouragement:

Actually i'm waiting for the other KLM liveries that you've done for the v2 model. F.i. this beauty here :

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?82308-Another-KLM-livery-for-Manfred-Jahn-s-C-47

In my KLM Dakota book the most gorgeous livery of them all. But i've always been a stickler for the bare-metal blue nose too of course.

Thanks again for doing such a fine job on the KLM DC-3 liveries, Huub. Goes without saying they are my favourite.

Groeten,
Jan

EZ Peazy Jan...the cowl bluing is a layer in the PK. It can be turned off for a much more subtle discoloration. I'll make a clean gray base layer with no baked in wear and post it up as an update.

Righto, Gordon ! :encouragement:

Cheers,
Jan

I second Jan's suggestion for a BEA texture for this bird! The BEA Paint scheme is one of the truly beautiful Dakota paint schemes, and(amazingly) it hasn't yet been done. PLEASE, one of you talented painters, do a BEA version!

Remember this, Bill ?...:

bea.jpg

I adapted the complete G-AMNV configuration, including the very typical cabin windows arrangement, just to do the beautiful BEA livery for the Maam-Sim DC-3 model (one is a dedicated Dakota nutter or one is not.. :teapot: ). We can't have that for Manfred's model of course, atleast not for the time being, but that doesn't mean that this gorgeous BEA livery would look absolutely fabulous on it.

Should there be any takers, here's a color photo of the real thing :

bea_g-amnv.jpg

Fingers crossed, Bill ! :cool:

Cheers,
Jan

:adoration: Arrr the Ole BEA .. think these are really going to takeoff, even with the metal texture .. I'm already thinking of adding Photo Metal ... ... won't be the plane unless they would drag it out the hanger for me :untroubled:

Yup.. it would look great in BEA Keyline too.. even Railway Air Services. Lots of lovely bare metal to admire:encouragement:

ATB
DaveB:)

I was in the midst of doing something Qantas...but revisited the Gooney Bird yet again....knocked a bit more blue out of the blue...put in a metal edge to the windows [had to find them exactly first] and changed the curved corners to the emergency exits....
Eventually there's a law of diminishing returns.....and I can get back to the Qantas...;)

attachment.php

Attachments

• Gooney again.jpg
    Gooney again.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 71
Its A Joke, but it's true

I usually stay clear of discussions regarding correct colors, and weathering because they can be so subjective and can get out of hand very quickly. So, at the risk of stirring the pot, and with all due respect and admiration for one of our hobby's most prolific developers, I will comment on this particular subject.

First off, I agree with Jan re the current C-47/DC-3 fliers. For the most part they are kept in pristine condition, including the engine cowls and nacelles. However there are many examples of operational military C-47s, and even a few civilian airliners with varying degrees of oil and soot on the nacelles behind the cowl flaps, a few of which are posted below.

So, from this repainter's point of view, I respectfully disagree with Jan's statement in his first paragraph. While I also agree with Jan re that degree of such "weathering" may come into question. But, that is usually determined by many factors such as personal taste, skill level and experience with repainting. As for myself, I repaint subjects for me. Most times I try to make them as accurate as possible. However, there are times when I take artistic license with such things, and because it's for me, it's OK if others don't care for them.

Finally, this is not a debate or argument. It is my humble opinion only, and I will not engage in any back and forth because I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. Just sharing an opinion.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Steve

Back 25 years or so ago I owned a small company that produced a line we called "EXACT-MIX" paints for model ships. The paints were formulated from actual WWII paint chips for the U.S.N. , Royal Navy and Kriegsmarine. After sending a set of six colors overseas, we received a letter back with a Xerox copy of a black/white photo from the customer telling us that a particular shade of gray did not match his photo he was using for reference. I won't get into explanation of angle of the sun, cloud cover or age of the film or print of the photo etc. here. Needless to say, I NEVER ever get into discussions of colors from black/white photos. LOL.

Maintenance

This is a V2 convert to V3 (yes, it has the V3 VVC) :encouragement: Tail wheel tire low on air.

Spotted at NAS Alameda.

Alameda.jpg

Alameda1.jpg

Better check the Form 1A for a "down gripe" on that tailwheel before the Admiral comes out of Air Ops, G.E. BTW nice airport, LOL.

Regard to tail wheel in the dirt, that is also caused by custom scenery flattens, check you tail wheel at a default .. Edwards would be Ideal :encouragement:

Great looking liveries, but I'll be darned if I can find the download links for half of what I see.

Duckie, how you coming with that Air Rescue conversion paint I post #8?

Great looking liveries, but I'll be darned if I can find the download links for half of what I see.

Duckie, how you coming with that Air Rescue conversion paint I post #8?

Hey WH47, thanks for asking but I'm just getting reacquainted with the texture structure and the paint kit. Although the textures convert well, the FS9 resolution is only 1024 and it looses a lot in the conversion. I'm going to update them to 2048 and I've got to adjust the specs and alphas so it may be a minute or two before I'm done as I'm updating both of my ARS paints, the OD and the natural metal versions.

But I have some other RL fish to fry before I get to them.

Back