• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

JP (and co)'s Alphasim/Virtavia F-4 Revival for FSX/P3D

I still get the vapor cone effect just sitting on the runway and I use the "L" (Lights) key. I can toggle the vapor smoke off and on using "L" key.
I'm not sure if your info ^ was addressing this very issue or the boom sound.

I did make the adjustments you mentioned to the xml file and in the lights entry.

[lights]

//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing

light.1 = 10, 19.70, 0, 2.60, fx_F4_flood,
light.2 = 10, 15.80, 0, 3.40, fx_F4_flood,
light.3 = 7, -11.5, -19.2, -0.68, fx_contrail_Virtavia Phantom ,
light.4 = 7, -11.5, 19.2, -0.68, fx_contrail_Virtavia Phantom ,
light.5 = 9, -9.19, -2.20, -0.79, fx_reheat_AlphaPhantomFSX ,
//light.6 = 9, -9.19, 2.20, -0.79, fx_reheat_AlphaPhantomFSX ,
light.7 = 4, 20.00, 0.60, 2.20, fx_F4_insts,
light.8 = 4, 20.00, -0.60, 2.20, fx_F4_insts,
//light.9 = 10, -10.00, 0.00, 0.00, fx_RCB_machenvlop,1 // SonicBoom effect
light.9 = 6, -10.00, 0.00, 0.00, fx_RCB_machenvlop,1 // SonicBoom effect <<<< This is as per your change.
[GeneralEngineData]

Capture.jpg

<Value>
(A:AIRSPEED MACH, number) 0.99 > (A:LIGHT TAXI,bool) ! &&
if{
(>K:TOGGLE_TAXI_LIGHTS)
(P:Local Time,seconds) (>G:Var1)
}

(A:AIRSPEED MACH, number) 0.98 < (A:LIGHT TAXI,bool) &&
if{
(>K:TOGGLE_TAXI_LIGHTS)
}

(G:Var1) 0 > (P:Local Time,seconds) (G:Var1) 3 + > &&
if{

The L key toggles all lights. If you don't want to toggle the vapor effect on and off but want to turn your lights on, wouldn't you want to toggle the individual light types?
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your comment?

The L key toggles all lights. If you don't want to toggle the vapor effect on and off but want to turn your lights on, wouldn't you want to toggle the individual light types?
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your comment?

I don't know how to answer to that but I did revert everything back to its previous status.
In my reverted state as you see here, I can toggle the "L" key and the Burner effect is activated.
So either the Vapor effect, or the burner effect, is bound to the "L" key - at least in my case.

Capture.jpg

I don't know how to answer to that but I did revert everything back to its previous status.
In my reverted state as you see here, I can toggle the "L" key and the Burner effect is activated.
So either the Vapor effect, or the burner effect, is bound to the "L" key - at least in my case.

Capture.jpg
I think I didn't understand your question. I think I still don't. What behavior would you like to have? What was the significance of saying you turned them on sitting on the runway? I'm no wiz with effects or how these things should operate, so I'm just trying to understand what should be happening, and what your expectations are.

I mean, I can write an effect and/or gauges to an extent, but there are some systems here I'd like to learn more about how they should work and how to get them to work.

Great job, PB and JP!

One thing I noticed when I started adding in some of my favourite repaints - the tank textures don't seem to map to the new tank models. Somehow the standard white with red tip center tank texture trumps any other texture, and similarly for the two outboard fuel tanks, if I apply one of the TPS (grey) or camo schemes, the tanks remain white.

Is there a way to fix this?

Also I noticed a strange AB delay - when you come off 100% throttle, it takes a good 2-3 sec for the AB to go off.

Finally, and perhaps more annoyingly, I'm getting the flaps down beeping, even when gear is down.

That's with the version v1 uploaded 2 May. I have yet to try the PBR version, which incidentally I just noticed is up.

thx - I'm super stoked for this model.

dl

If you use P3D, the reheat flame effect should not be tied to any light condition. That can only happen if you by accident copied the FSX effects to your effects folder as well as the P3D ones.

In a "stock" installation the only effect tied to a light condition in P3D is the contrail effect (recognition lights). In FSX, both the reheat and contrail effects are tied to light conditions (recognition and logo lights) .

But adding the sonic boom stuff, the vapor cone must be tied to a light condition as well, either cabin lights if you use an unmodified "SonicBoomControl.xml" or taxi lights if you use my suggested modification, so it will display if you use the "L" key to toggle all lights. The boom sound is only played if you actually pass the sound barrier.

Butch, it's really odd that you didn't get the vapour cone with your edited files. Your modifications to "SonicBoomControl.xml" as well as to "aircraft.cfg" were 100% correct. You should indeed be able to toggle the vapour effect with the "L" key, but not the reheat flame. And you should certainly get both vapour and sound effect when passing mach 1.

The reason why I don't want to occupy the cabin lights condition is that I really want two ways to illuminate the cockpit.

Floodlight:
XSOb5CJ.jpg

Instrument light (ideally to be enhanced with gauge backlighting and maybe even some additive texturing):
jgrJXjO.jpg

Just something I'm working on ...

Cheers,
JP

Wow, that was quick! :applause:

Thank you Ulrich, great job, really looking forward to seeing the PBR Phantoms in sim.

One thing that I don't like with the sonic boom effect in its current state is that COP3\SonicBoomControl intercepts the cabin lights (light type 10).
This means that we can no longer use both types of interior light (cabin and instrument), which is a pity. It would be better to hack into e.g. the taxi lights (light type 6) which are unused by the Phantom.

This can be accomplished by a minor edit of "SonicBoomControl.xml". Just change all occurrences of "LIGHT CABIN" to "LIGHT TAXI" and change "TOGGLE_CABIN_LIGHTS" to "TOGGLE_TAXI_LIGHTS". Then you can change the [lights] entry in "aircraft.cfg" from "light.XX = 10, -10.00, 0.00, 0.00, fx_RCB_machenvlop,1" to "light.XX = 6, -10.00, 0.00, 0.00, fx_RCB_machenvlop,1". Now the sonic boom uses the taxi lights, and we can (once again) use the cabin lights.

Cheers,
JP

Thank you, for the very great job you've done !! :ernaehrung004:

Yes, you are right with the SonicBoom effect, this is a little untoward,
but your solution to resolve this problem should work.
I'm not sure if some users can get changed that.

Cheers
Ulrich

One thing I noticed when I started adding in some of my favourite repaints - the tank textures don't seem to map to the new tank models. Somehow the standard white with red tip center tank texture trumps any other texture, and similarly for the two outboard fuel tanks, if I apply one of the TPS (grey) or camo schemes, the tanks remain white.

Is there a way to fix this?
The weapons all use a separate texture set now, the "w_xxxxxxxx" textures in the texture.VC folder. This had to be done because not all models had all textures for all weapons. So you can paint those, or include "w_xxxxxxx" textures in the individual repaint.

As for the afterburner timing, this is hardcoded in the model as specified by Ulrich, the flame comes on and goes off at 80% engine RPM.

Cheers,
JP

Burner ring rotation

Noticed a little burner ring rotation (Gyro effect) when tilting the aircraft or sometimes change in altitude. This is not at full burner. Maybe at low end of throttle

or at burner first stage. PBR Edition in (P3D V4.5)

Capture.jpg

Are there any plans to upgrade the RF-4B? Or possibly an option to eliminate the slime lights on the F-4C? Unfortunately most of the colorful RF-4s were B models without slimes.

Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

Steve

attachment.php

Attachments

• -2020-may-4-017.jpg
    -2020-may-4-017.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 90
Ulrich

I sent you a PM about the wrong direction the lancer was pointing on the right side. The left side is okay.
Didn't notice it till I hopped in for a ride.

Capture3.jpg

Capture.jpg

Noticed a little burner ring rotation (Gyro effect) when tilting the aircraft or sometimes change in altitude. This is not at full burner. Maybe at low end of throttle

or at burner first stage. PBR Edition in (P3D V4.5)

The burner ring gyro effect i noticed too, but i have no clue what
is the cause.

Ulrich

I sent you a PM about the wrong direction the lancer was pointing on the right side. The left side is okay.
Didn't notice it till I hopped in for a ride.

Yes, okay i see, had only shots from the left side.
I will fix that.

The burner ring gyro effect i noticed too, but i have no clue what
is the cause.

Yes, okay i see, had only shots from the left side.
I will fix that.

Ulrich
Got your PM - Thank you.

The AB rings will rotate and will not lock in place and from what I hear not a problem in FSX.

Had a similar experience with the Alpha Sim F-8 and Ted Tufun was trying to correct same situation.
He did fix the gyro issue but had to mod the effect a little.

fx_reheat_AlphaPhantom.fx

[Emitter.0]
Lifetime=0.30, 0.30
Delay=0.00, 0.00
Bounce=0.00
Light=0
No Interpolate=1
Rate=110.00, 110.00
X Emitter Velocity=0.00, 0.00
Y Emitter Velocity=0.00, 0.00
Z Emitter Velocity=0.00, 0.00
Drag=0.00, 0.00
X Particle Velocity=0.00, 0.00
Y Particle Velocity=0.00, 0.00
Z Particle Velocity=0.00, 0.00
X Rotation=3.00, 3.00
Y Rotation=0.00, 0.00
Z Rotation=0.00, 0.00
X Offset=0.00, 0.00
Y Offset=0.00, 0.00
Z Offset=0.0, 0.0
Pitch=-2.50, -2.50
Bank=0.00, 0.00
---------- These have no effect and will not hold the rings in place.
Heading=0.00, 0.00

Hello, is it possible to allow the original tank models for the models? Since the textures do not fit on these and other tanks were also on the RF-4, they are otherwise always white.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• RF-4E.jpg
    RF-4E.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 63
  • RF-4C.jpg
    RF-4C.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 62
  • FGR.2.jpg
    FGR.2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 61
Hello, is it possible to allow the original tank models for the models? Since the textures do not fit on these and other tanks were also on the RF-4, they are otherwise always white.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That was the very question I asked that JP answered.

We have to create specific textures for those tanks to add in the specific texture folder of the repaint, so it will trump the white that's included as default. I'm hoping I can cheat by simply renaming the old textures to the new texture format, as I'm no repainter. I'll check later when I'm done work.

dl

The renaming is possible on the 12Pack but not on the other 2, here the texture has other names, that not match and the models has other tank models too.

I'm really enjoying this one! Great work! The VC and the outside have undergone a major change! And then there's the loadout manager! Thank you very much!
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif][/FONT]

:applause:

Cees

Last edited:
Back