• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

SOH A-26 Invader FSX Converted Files Download

:applause::applause::applause:Incredible, just smashing. Those metal skins a work of art!
The A-26 is the only Second World War Bomber that I ever got any stick time in, and it holds a special place in my heart, even though the damned thing had a pucker factor of 9.99 on the 'ol sphincterometer, watching the end of the strip in Loon River rushing up, fat and heavy on a 30deg day, working the yoke like the oars in a racing shell, praying for lift, then sweating through the engine out dead zone untill I was sure she'd stay flying.
The -26's were a real mecca for some of the craziest hillbilly pilots and Engineers I ever worked with , too. Great guys,the best; even with the two fisted hell raising and sometimes heartbreaking casualty rate(for a civvie show) that went went with living and working that crew and the -26. Wouldn't have missed it for any thing, and I'd never do it again.
So a huge thank you to all involved. The model looks fantastic, and flys pretty much like the actual 'plane. Its just about as close to strapping an -26 to your butt as you can get in a simulation flight model wise, albeit with out the smoke, oil, drafts, sweat, bugs, deafened earholes, raw terror and old airplane smell.

Man... I'm having a fantastic time with this bird and the awesome teamwork putting Milton's & SOH TEAM aircraft into this level of realism!!! Congrads to all involved!!! :salute:

A short flic flying thru some wicked weather... I was going to whistle Pete's (Dreyfuss) little tune from "Always", nerves you know! ;)

One of my favorite airplane movies... "Always"!!! Since Milton's A-26 has been refitted with some nice upgrades (FSX native), it's time to do some painting.

CG model of an A-26 Fire Eaters, similar to the one Pete flew in Always.
AlwaysA-26model-1.jpg

Plastic model kit of Ali's Fire Eater PBY.
AlwaysPBY9-1.jpg

Did a quick little clip, exploring different angles. The A-26 bay doors where open, but FSRecorder didn't pick that up in the playback.

When I load any of the new textures like Sugarland or any or the bare metal finishes, I get a silver body but dark, almost black wings and tail. Anyone have any idea what would be causing this?

Dave

When I load any of the new textures like Sugarland or any or the bare metal finishes, I get a silver body but dark, almost black wings and tail. Anyone have any idea what would be causing this?

Dave

I'm having the same problem with darker wings and tailfin.

Bruce.

It appears that the shadows are on top of the surfaces and not on the underside as well on this scheme only.

No problems with other models or paint schemes that I can see.

I don't have spec maps assigned in the materials for the models (as I figured there would be too many textures being used), so there shouldn't be any spec maps present/being used at all. If spec maps are made and are put into the texture folders, they shouldn't have any effect on the model/textures (unless somehow FSX automatically calls on texture files with "Spec" in the title, even if they aren't assigned in the materials? That would be a new one on me!).

Not having the bump maps in the texture folders will give you the "shadows on top" look. This also means if the bump maps aren't made, saved, or named properly, they won't be loaded. I'd suggest trying to copy/paste over the bump maps from the files I provided, and see if that cures any of the issues you may see within some of the repaints.

Sugarland Express display anomalies

It appears that the shadows are on top of the surfaces and not on the underside as well on this scheme only.

No problems with other models or paint schemes that I can see.

I beta tested the textures at a number of different settings in FSX and saw no anomalies. I'll look into this and see if I can provide helpful info. In the meantime get me more specific info on your setups if you would be so kind. Feel free to message at my page.

I'll hazard a guess and work on the assumption that this is system specific.
All the textures worked on the original model and were updated for John's FSX version. I've also added all of the most current updates to my working models and show no problems. I have had occasional similar display problems with other aircraft that had to do with the FSX clock not extrapolating the time of day and light angles correctly.

Double Check:
Install the most current updates to the model.
Turn off DirectX preview (I get chrome wheels with it on)
Remove the texture.cfg file contained in the actual texture.sugarland folder. The fall backs may be causing your system to interpret conflicting data.

In the meantime, I will create and post DXT5 files and see if you have the same display issues. My originals are admittedly high memory. I did this because I felt that the model would display best with these settings, but they do require a lot from your system. The DXT will be more user friendly.

Gordon

The issue has been corrected per John's advice. The Sugarland textures were missing some bump maps for me, so I just copied them from John's textures. It had some spec textures and some bump textures but not all of either. Probably my issue.

Sugarland Express display anomalies addressed

I think I have resolved the issue.

Originally I had fall backs to a common texture folder in my system. Two of the bump maps were in that folder and not the sugarland.texture. I've removed the texture.cfg file and placed all of the required bump maps into the sugarland.texture folder and as of the time of this post I am re-loading the file.
I suppose that's why they call it beta. My sincere apologies for missing this detail.

The bump maps in my textures are slightly different than John's. I actually created them prior to the release of the FSX model. I have put a few wrinkles in the skins here and there to create a not so perfect look.

Please keep me updated with any feedback you have on the files.

Gordon

What if USMC VMB A-26 circa 1944

Here are some screenshots of a what if the USMC had acquired the A-26 instead of the PBJ. So here's the PBD-1 in a generic VMB squadron markings circa 1944.

Repaint Request

Just a request for any of the talented painters out there if a repaint of the A 26 in a Viet-nam era camo design coud be done.
Not sure what Military outfits were using them back then in Nam nor what the markings were but I have seen pictures of them
painted in Camo colors.

Thanks

:kilroy:

Back