• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

Vought RF-8 Crusader project, 2018

It's not a RF-8 (rather, a F-8H), but I worked on this one at Pax River in the early 70s. Egress system. Heavy Martin Baker seats. Unlike later models, it was a one-piece seat. NC0290048-1.jpg

Two further schemes completed today - VFP-306 and VMCJ-3. Might be able to do one more next week, probably the low-vis late model, before releasing the package.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Looks awesome - the VMCJ-3 was the USMC paint I had hoped for - woohoo!!

A small point re the VFP-206 and VFP-306, the black anti-glare didn't end as a round above the nose - it went to a point, right to the tip of the radome:

https://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p66882558/e8b23925d

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-r...1&vd=0&lb=&fi=2&edrf=0&ispremium=1&flip=0&pl=

I've only seen one pic that deviated from that, and even there, the glare paint extended all the way to the tiny radome "cap", which was white. I should have pointed that out earlier, and since I was looking at a tiny iphone screen, I didn't catch it until now. My earlier links show this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/skyhawkpc/22836094525

http://vfp62.com/IMAGES/scarborough_905.jpg

You can see the glare paint doesn't end before reaching the nose - it goes all the way to the border with the radome cap.

Russell Smith did a late period VFP-206 paint for the original fighter model, as a stand-in/faux-"RF-8", that was quite well done, if that helps you. Not sure how low vis and/or late you want to go, since by 1979 they started into low vis, first with doing away with the white under, but keeping full size and full high vis colour national markings, to going to large black national markings, to small but still black national markings, to full TPS, with small and subdued national markings.

Any of those would be lovely.

I hope that helps, and thanks again, for this!

dl

VFP-63's Bicentennial paint job was the most colorful scheme ever applied to the aircraft. Would be nice if somebody skilled in striping could do this skin. I can change tail codes and other details but I haven't mastered curved lines. :biggrin-new:

Attachments

• 146858_Bicentennial.jpg
    146858_Bicentennial.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 3
Just updating this thread to announce that the RF-8G has been uploaded and should be available within a day or so of this post. I ran out of time for extra paints ( three are included ) but everything else is in place. I do hope one day to have the time to continue with the true HD version, but hope this keeps 'Sader fans happy in the meantime until the RFN Crusader makes an appearance :)

Just updating this thread to announce that the RF-8G has been uploaded and should be available within a day or so of this post. I ran out of time for extra paints ( three are included ) but everything else is in place. I do hope one day to have the time to continue with the true HD version, but hope this keeps 'Sader fans happy in the meantime until the RFN Crusader makes an appearance :)

Dean, thank you SO much for all the work you have put into this. You are a busy man, and I am glad to be back in the air in a Crusader! A few screenshots from some evening pattern work at Eglin AFB. NC:encouragement:

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 2019-9-6_7-3-43-642.jpg
    2019-9-6_7-3-43-642.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 3
  • 2019-9-6_7-4-2-923.jpg
    2019-9-6_7-4-2-923.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 2019-9-6_7-4-12-231.jpg
    2019-9-6_7-4-12-231.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 3
  • 2019-9-6_7-6-27-681.jpg
    2019-9-6_7-6-27-681.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 4
Thank you very much for this Dean. I have downloaded and installed it. On first trying it out the afterburner doesn't appear for me, do I need to add something from earlier F-8 enhancements?

Thank you very much for this Dean. I have downloaded and installed it. On first trying it out the afterburner doesn't appear for me, do I need to add something from earlier F-8 enhancements?
Same problem here, actually, but I couldn't spend any more time troubleshooting it. I think that the effect might be FSX only and just doesn't show in P3D, but I'm not sure.

Dean, thank you SO much for all the work you have put into this. You are a busy man, and I am glad to be back in the air in a Crusader! A few screenshots from some evening pattern work at Eglin AFB. NC
You're very welcome, great screenies! :)

Looking foward to flying her tonight Dean,thanks so much for all of your time,and hard work,much appreciated.:ernaehrung004:

A Big Thank you!

Dear Dean

a big Thank you for sharing this nice bird!

attachment.php

Many greetings RS

Attachments

• 2019-9-6_16-44-21-39.jpg
    2019-9-6_16-44-21-39.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 10
Thank you very much for the photo bird! Looks like no AB effect so I was trying to add an afterburner effect like this one:

I remember when Ted (Tufun) made a nice AB effect for the F8 awhile back but cannot find it. If he reads this, would appreciate a copy of that AB effect.
or what was done to make it so.
I compared the AS F8 effects to this Photo and they read the same, so I don't know how to make the AB effect for this photo bird, it would be awesome
to have this flame effect.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=38&sort=d&page=3&pp=20

Thank you very much for the photo bird! Looks like no AB effect so I was trying to add an afterburner effect like this one:

I remember when Ted (Tufun) made a nice AB effect for the F8 awhile back but cannot find it. If he reads this, would appreciate a copy of that AB effect.
or what was done to make it so.
I compared the AS F8 effects to this Photo and they read the same, so I don't know how to make the AB effect for this photo bird, it would be awesome
to have this flame effect.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=38&sort=d&page=3&pp=20

Ooh, that WOULD look nice! NC

Yep, just borrowed what I had for the original Alpha/F-8. Added it to the smoke key.

attachment.php

Yup, the effect folder was missing. I did a side by side comparison of both aircraft.cfgs and panels. They were idential. Then I notice that the V2 of the F8 had something
that the Photo did not have....an effects folder so I moved the models and textures over to the V2 F-8 and now it goes Boom on AB and the flame comes out.
I suppose there was an easier way to do this but my way came to mind.

In P3D V3.4 the I key makes vapor trail AND the sonic boom at same time. Such a deal......

Yup, the effect folder was missing. I did a side by side comparison of both aircraft.cfgs and panels. They were idential. Then I notice that the V2 of the F8 had something
that the Photo did not have....an effects folder so I moved the models and textures over to the V2 F-8 and now it goes Boom on AB and the flame comes out.
I suppose there was an easier way to do this but my way came to mind.

In P3D V3.4 the I key makes vapor trail AND the sonic boom at same time. Such a deal......

Looks great! Any chance there's a way to tie the AB to throttle movement? NC

Looks great! Any chance there's a way to tie the AB to throttle movement? NC
I was wondering the same thing... In the Alpha F-8 "gunfighter" version the A/B glow and flame are linked to the throttle and the wingtip vapor trails work with aircraft maneuvering but with this RF-8G it's manual by hitting the "I" smoke key. The panel.cfg files are identical, as are the .cfg files except for the plane selections. Maybe I'm missing something... DC1973, any suggestions?

UPDATE: I just now re-read Gray Eagle's post above and saw what he did. Basically... If you have the Alpha v.2 F-8 "gunfighter" version move the .mdl and texture files for the RF-8 over to the F-8 folder and add the RF-8 aircraft selections to the F-8's .cfg file. Then delete (or stash) your now unneeded RF-8 aircraft folder. Now the photo bird has the same throttle-controlled A/B, vapor trail, and fuel dump effects as the fighter. Maybe Gray Eagle spotted what was different between the RF-8 and F-8 .cfg files, they sure looked identical to me but the fighter's .cfg file gives you the effects for the photo bird without having to manually use the "I" key. Took me most of the night but I figured it out! :wiggle:

Last edited:
Back